sauteed chickpeas

Last February I decided to go vegan. I did pretty well for about six months and then the whole thing imploded. I'd like to go back to being vegan at some point. I didn't realize how good I was feeling until I started eating dairy again. Some people report almost instantly feeling better on a vegan diet. It was more gradual and subtle for me. And it can be tough, especially if you're the only vegan you know.

Personally, I had a lot of great support from the people around me. Even the folks at work started ordering vegan pizzas for us (there are a few vegans in my office) at pizza parties (we get one once a month!).

One of the things I always found really exciting about veganism was discovering new recipes. One of the things I realized I'd been missing my whole life is sauteed chickpeas. They are SO good! And really easy, too!
For my chickpeas, I took a 15oz can and drained and rinsed the beans in a colander. Then I spread them out on a baking sheet and put in the oven while I was pre-heating it for something else (that story is for later this week...). I stirred them around a couple times to make sure they were getting dried out (you could also dry them with paper towels, or a clean towel. I don't like to waste paper towels and I'm afraid of fuzz, so I use the oven).

Then I tossed them in some olive oil, salt, pepper and cayenne (seasonings to taste, oil enough to cover evenly). In a pan I heated a little more olive oil over medium high heat and threw in the beans, stirring regularly until they started to brown.

They are truly delicious. They'd be great with some garlic, too. Anything, really. I've done them a few different ways, but I like that they're good plain, too.

-A.

No comments:

Post a Comment