kalamata tomato sauce

 Now here's a recipe I can stand behind.

This I adapted from a recipe I read in "Better Homes & Gardens" about four years ago. I can't link to it, since I don't have it anymore. But also, it's come a long way since then and is probably not much the same anymore, anyway.

At the time I was living in my first ever apartment, above a gun shop on Main Street in Norway. I miss that little apartment. . . . And Maine in general. I'm finding myself very homesick today.

This is my favorite dish, I think, so it's the perfect thing to have while eating my emotions.

What I love most about this recipe is the flavor of the grape tomatoes and the Kalamata olives. It's kind of a fresher, lighter, more flavorful take on regular old spaghetti. 

I also love that it's quick, simple and makes a lot. I made this Thursday night and I'm still eating the delicious leftovers!
Here's what you need to make this: 

2 pints grape tomatoes, halved
1/2 pint baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives (whole or sliced)
1/4 cup Kalamata olive juice
5-6 large basil leaves, chopped
2 small yellow onions, finely chopped
1 Italian pepper, finely chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup water
salt & pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp of coconut oil (you could use olive if you want)
1 Tbsp of olive oil
1 lbs pasta (fettuccine, linguine or spaghetti would all be fine)

In a medium-sized sauce pan, heat 1 Tbsp of coconut oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add your garlic, onion and pepper. Stir regularly to avoid burning. Once the onions have softened, add in your mushrooms. 

The mushrooms will begin to release their moisture and your mixture will become slightly more . . .well, moist. At this point, add in your tomatoes, olives, olive juice, water and basil. Stir to combine and allow to simmer on low while you bring to boil a pot of water for, and cook, your pasta. 

If your sauce begins to thicken too much, add a little more water. 

Once pasta is finished cooking, and drained, toss with your sauce, adding a little olive oil to keep pasta from sticking together. serve hot, or cold! It's delicious both ways.

Oh! I almost forgot, I added a can of small white beans to my recipe this time (pictured). That's totally optional. I like to add beans to things because it gives me some protein. 

Enjoy!
-A.



No comments:

Post a Comment