learn a new skill: crochet






































A couple years ago I taught myself how to crochet by watching videos on Youtube. I'm not an expert and I sort of end up re-teaching myself every fall, but it's something that I enjoy doing, even my scarves end up skinnier by the end than they were when I started. Whatever, right? It's relaxing and there's something comforting about holding all that soft yarn in your hands.

I once also took knitting lessons, but I wasn't able to pick it up the way I had hoped. I think it may be a more versatile skill but it doesn't go as quickly as crochet. I'm a pretty impatient person so quicker is always better for me.

Crochet I think is also a lot easier to teach to yourself. It's just one hook, versus two needles. Whenever anyone expresses to me an interest in learning, I try to impress upon them how simple it is for them to teach themselves. Maybe I'm not great at it, and I can't do anything fancy, but I picked up the basics in a single day. I just need to practice more.

Above is a pictures of a scarf I made recently. I'm pretty lucky that I get to crochet at work if I want to. That's where I finished this!

Here are some great resources if you feel inspired to start learning a new skill!

Peace and love,
-A.

2 comments:

  1. haha that's funny! That's me with knitting. I have to reteach myself every time I decide to make something…though scarves are the only thing so far ;) I actually just finished one that I started back in October - in time for the colder weather we're having in NYC. I love the color yarn you chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS getting chilly! I'm trying to finish up another scarf super quick :)

      Thanks for reading Jennifer! :D

      -Aimee

      Delete