how to add tassels to a scarf

For all I know there is a much fancier way of doing this. As I've mentioned before, I am far from expert when it comes to crochet. I just made this up. Worked for me :) 

This is the first perfect scarf I've ever made and that's because I had to unravel half of it four different times to fix mistakes. But when I finally got to the end, I was so pleased! It was really worth the extra effort.

Especially because this particular scarf is a gift for my lovely five-year-old niece. Isn't the yarn so cute? I thought of her immediately when I saw it. And it'll last her a long time because it'll go with any color jacket (you know, since growing children need a new one almost every season!). 

I wanted to make it a little more interesting than just a plain old scarf, so I decided to add some tassels. Here's how I did that. 

1. Cut three pieces of yarn a little more than twice as long as you want your tassels to be (longer is better, you will be trimming them at the end). 2. Fold them in half. 3. & 4. My scarf has ten chains. I tried to space the tassels as evenly as possible, even though 10 is not evenly divisible by 4. Poke your crochet hook through where you want your tassels to be. 5. Hook the loop of your tassel and pull through. 6. Widen the loop with your fingers without pulling the ends through. 7. Fold the ends of your yarn over the end of your scarf from below and pull through the loop. 8. & 9. Pull to tighten. 10. Repeat, spacing your tassels evenly across the scarf. 11. Trim the ends of your tassels to the same length. 12. Aaand you're done!

I hope it's pretty straight forward, but please feel totally free to post any questions you may have in the comments! The best part of this is that you aren't knotting anything (though you can, if you want to), so if you don't get it right the first time, it's really easy to start over.

Peace & love,
-A.

No comments:

Post a Comment